Saturday, January 20, 2018

Journaling Through the Bible: Joseph's Dreams

Text: Journaling Through the Bible: Joseph's Dreams; background of stars


Bible page with stars and sun drawn on it


"Then he dreamed still another dream and told it to his brothers, and said, 'Look, I have dreamed another dream. And this time, the sun, the moon, and the eleven stars bowed down to me."
Genesis 37:9 NKJV

As much as I love reading the story of Joseph, I have always had trouble understanding why he continues to share his dreams when his brothers are obviously envious. Maybe Joseph is so innocent that he does not see their envy. Is Joseph only seeking the approval of his brothers and father when he shares these dreams? 

Why do we share our own dreams? Sometimes our dreams are funny and we want to share the laugh with a friend or loved one. Sometimes they are scary and talking about them makes them less scary. Perhaps sharing them helps others understand why we may be reacting differently to events than before we experienced the bad dream. But why does Joseph share the dreams that get him into so much trouble?

It seems like the sharing of his dreams begins the plotting against Joseph by his brothers. It really kicked the journey towards sin in the hearts of his brothers into high gear.

I think one needs to skip to the end of Genesis to see the end of the story to truly understand how it all would work out in the end.

"But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive." Genesis 50:20 NKJV

Despite the brothers' envy and jealousy, if they had not sold their brother into slavery he might not have saved 'many people,' including his own family. I find it very probable that Joseph would not have journeyed to Egypt, become an aide to the Pharaoh, and planned for a future famine if he was not sold into slavery. Things really do have a way of working out.

Stars and Sun picture from dreamstime
© Aask | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images

I have to admit that I am probably more familiar with the story of Joseph than other Old Testament stories thanks to the musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. I cannot even remember how many times I have seen it on the stage as well as viewing the film starring Donny Osmond.

"I dreamed I saw eleven stars,
The Sun the moon and sky,
Bowing down before my star..."
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat lyrics to Josephs' Dreams


text: Journaling Through the Bible: Joseph's Dreams; background image of stars

2 comments: