Monday, February 12, 2018

Busy/Quiet Boxes - Five Little Fishes

Busy/Quiet Boxes - Five Little Fishes; fish clip art


After discovering the idea of busy or quiet boxes online, I scoured Pinterest for ideas that I could put into action in order to promote my toddler's imagination and quiet activities.

If you are unfamiliar with busy or quiet boxes, they are quite simple and can be implemented in a number of ways. A box can be created for each day of the week (or just the weekdays), bags can be created for each separate activity so you can pick and choose when to share certain activities, or bags can be created that can be taken out to restaurants and shopping trips.

My son and daughter really enjoy Little Baby Bum, in particular the song Once I Caught a Fish Alive. So when I saw a felt fish activity someone else had created (Hawkins Family Blog), I knew that I needed to create a modified version for my toddler. So even though the song only has one fish being caught, I wanted to use this as an opportunity to encourage counting.

I used material that was already purchased for my Christmas Tree Activity. I cut a background of blue and white felt to represent the clouds or waves atop the ocean, tan for the sand, brown and black rocks, different green shaded seaweed, and fishes of five different colors.

Resources 

The Hawkins Family Blog 
ABCkidTV - Nursery Rhymes - 12345 Once I Caught a Fish Alive




   




No comments:

Post a Comment