Sunday, May 15, 2022

Journaling Through the Bible: Do Not Worry

A Mom's Quest to Teach logo: Journaling Through the Bible: Do Not Worry with floral background

 

While taking care of my mom as she needed intense care during the last weeks of her battle with Alzheimer's, I turned to the Bible more and more often. There were many times I merely flipped through my Bible and read excerpts here and there until something stuck out to me. Then I would sit and read a few verses or chapters and make notes in my Bible as I felt comfort or had questions or ideas.

In addition to reading my Bible for comfort, I also read it to find what I would like to share at my mom's memorial service. Over time, I found four different pieces of scripture that I thought would be appropriate. One is from the book of Luke (chapter 12). 


worry with cloud and wave drawing


Do Not Worry 


I am a worrier. So much so that I have periods of very high anxiety where I have trouble with decisions and often forget to turn to God for comfort. I think it is very fitting to want to share the verses in Luke about not worrying. Jesus told his disciples not to worry. God takes care of the birds and flowers. He will take care of us in our need. Do not worry about the treasures here as long as you trust the Father.


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Luke 12:34  on rose background with A Mom's Quest to Teach Logo



As I was talking about what verses I would like to share at my mom's memorial with my husband, he suggested I look at the same advice in Chapter 6 of Matthew.


"Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life; what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing." Matthew 6:25 


A Mom's Quest to Teach: Journaling Through the Bible: Do Not Worry with floral background


God takes care of us at all times. I often felt very alone – even with my immediate family helping – as I took care of my mom. As my mom needed more and more care and communicated with us less and less, I worried about everything. If only I would remember to trust God.


"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6: 33-34


God knew exactly what steps needed to happen in order to provide me with solace and ease my worry.  As our family navigates life without my mom, I only hope we can turn to God and not worry. 

4 comments:

  1. Love this. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be a worrier instead of a prayer warrior. This is a great reminder that we should give it all to God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...trusting God seems so easy but the remembering is the hard part.

      Delete