Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Book Club: Reading List for 2018

Text: Book Club: Reading List for 2018



How many books do you want to read this year? How many books did you read last year?

Last year, according to my Goodreads account, I read 107 books which included biography, fiction, non-fiction, young adult, children’s, science fiction, fantasy, horror, comic books, and others. I kept track of all my books (even those I read with my children) to have a complete record. This year I am challenging myself to read the same number of books (100) as last year. 

There are twelve specific books I want to read during 2018, in addition to those that I pick up at the library on our weekly trip with the kids.


I received this book last year for Christmas and it sat among my 'to read' books all year.  I am determined it will be completed by the time Christmas comes again.




I purchased this edition many years ago to discover more about the men who lived during one of my favorite time periods in history.  I have read many other non-fiction and fiction books that provide accounts of the Tudor time and I have many more left to read on my shelves.

3) A Study in Sable by Mercedes Lackey


 

At one point in my life, I enjoyed reading almost all of Lackey's books.  I would purchase them as soon as they were published (sometimes waiting for paperback) and I have read and reread many of her novels.  Of late, I have drifted away from her books and I hope that this helps recapture the enjoyment I garnered from them when I was in college.

4) The King's Confidante by Jean Plaidy


This is one of the many fictional books of the Tudor Time period that I wish to read. I have read others in the same time period by Plaidy and enjoyed them. 

5) Star Wars: Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson 


I enjoyed reading some of the other more recent Star Wars books and I hope that this will continue that trend.

6) You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth


I find that like many individuals I tend to judge myself harshly.  I am hopeful that this book will help me see that I am "already awesome."

7) God Loves You by Dr. David Jeremiah


8) A Life Beyond Amazing by Dr. David Jeremiah


My husband introduced me to the work of Dr. David Jeremiah a little over a year ago.  I have found Turning Point and his other works to be encouraging and I am eagerly awaiting reading these two books.

9) Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss


In addition to some of the other books I have chosen that might fit in the 'self-help' category, I selected this one amongst those recommended by friends.

10) Doctor Turner's Casebook based on the BBC Hit Drama Call the Midwife


I don't know exactly when I discovered the TV series Call the Midwife, but I am really glad that it has become one of the few shows I eagerly look forward to each Christmas and Spring.  I have read the books by Jennifer Worth (which provided the basis for the show) and I am looking forward to reminiscing about some of my favorite characters and episodes with this 2017 Christmas gift.




This was also a 2017 Christmas gift.  I have read all the books in the Mitford Series and I am looking forward to trying out some of the recipes made famous by Karon's characters.

12) The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens


Over the years during high school and college, I read most of Dickens' books  There are still a few that sit unread on my shelf and this year I am determined to cross another off my 'to read' list.

Have you read any of the books on my list?  Do any of these sound interesting to you?  Please let me know in the comments if you set reading goals for yourself (or your family) each year.

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
Kristen has read 0 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Looking for a new homeschool curriculum?  SchoolhouseTeachers.com offers homeschooling families the chance to add a wealth of resources (including many eBooks!), electives, and new course options to their curriculum lineup for the second semester - and at a super-affordable price!


No comments:

Post a Comment