Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Book Club: Review of Kate's Really Good At Hockey


Disclaimer: I received access to the e-book for free from the publisher in return for my honest opinion. All thoughts and opinions are my own. For more information please see my Terms of Use and Disclosure Policy. Thank you.

I recently joined NetGalley after reading it about for a short while and have had the privilege to review a few books through this medium. The first book I reviewed was Kate's Really Good At Hockey by Christina Frey and Howard Shapiro. It is a graphic novel about the life of Kate and her best summer ever! She is getting the opportunity to attend an elite girls' hockey game in Denver and play with and against some of the best female hockey players in the world. 


Kate's Really Good At Hockey is a graphic novel that details the events of Kate's experiences just prior to and during her summer hockey camp. We follow Kate, her mom, her grandma, and teammates on a journey where she discovers herself through creating new friendships. Her original desires of staying in the dorms are squelched as her mom wants her to stay with her grandma. This change is actually beneficial to their relationship and Kate's time at camp. 



As an adult, I will admit that I knew something was up when Kate's mom insisted she stay with her grandma but I didn't foresee both of the reveals. Perhaps an elementary school-aged student (who I would think this is geared towards) would not be as quick to think something was up. 



Best. Summer. Ever. 

I like the dedication that Kate displays – even in the face of adversity – and would think she could be inspirational for young hockey players. There is a focus on family and friendship as well as dedication to dreams. I would recommend this book to children interested in hockey, but I would encourage parents to read it first because it deals with some complex issues. 



SPOILER

SPOILER 


Kate's grandma has cancer. This may be a topic of concern if family members have experienced it or lost a loved one to it. 

5 comments:

  1. a hockey book that would appeal to both girls and boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I could see my stepson liking it (because - Hockey!) although we would probably talk about the subject matter as his mom died from cancer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the review and yes, it would appeal to both girls and boys, I feel!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the chance to read your book. There aren't enough hockey-related books out there (that aren't about a few of the great players).

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristen and yes you are spot on correct as far as there not being enough hockey-related books for kids! That was the #1 reason I started writing hockey books... because I couldn't find any in the library for my son's when they were very young.

      Delete