Thursday, August 19, 2021

Finding Homeschool Encouragement

A Mom's Quest to Teach: Finding Homeschool Encouragement - Looking to Psalm 121 with floral background

There are many places and people to whom you can turn when seeking encouragement on your homeschool journey. Videos on YouTube, blogs, Instagram influencers, and more abound on the Internet. Perhaps you are fortunate enough to belong to a homeschool support group or co-op or a church with many homeschooling members. But what if you feel like you are alone on your homeschool journey? Where can you find encouragement? 

The Psalms 

Even though I have a strong online homeschool support network through my work and my blog, there are times when I feel very much alone. We don't belong to any local or state groups, nor do we know anyone at church who homeschools (there are some, but they remain a mystery to me). 

So what do I do? Looking to books is one way I can gain encouragement and insight as a homeschool mom. I have reviewed several here at A Mom's Quest to Teach, and others still sit on my to-read pile. But what is really the ultimate source for encouragement? The Bible. It might seem a cliché but it is true. There is so much wisdom and encouragement to be gleaned from the Bible for homeschoolers. I want to share one Psalm in particular that struck a chord with me tonight. 

Psalm 121 

I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.


He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.


The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night. 


The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.

 

A Mom's Quest to Teach: Finding Homeschool Encouragement - Looking to Psalm 121 with floral background


My Thoughts 

I need to always remember to lift up my eyes to the Lord. He is my steadfast helper. He knows my heart – my anguish – and can preserve me from evil. When all seems to be going wrong, I need to take a long at the big picture. God will triumph in the end. He will preserve my soul – my children's souls. 

These verses and thoughts are difficult to remember on those hard days. Those days

  • When every online educational program is not working.
  • When every task takes forever. 
  • When your children will not listen.
  • When your homeschool day is interrupted over and over. 
  • When the printer runs out of ink. 
These days are difficult. 

But remember, God is always working. His word is always available to read. 

God is forever. He will stand by you and your children as they procrastinate. 

God is listening. And so are your children. They just may not be listening to what you think is important. But they are always observing us and listening to what we are saying. 

God will interrupt you for His plan.

God's word can be printed on your heart. 

Seek the Lord on these difficult homeschool days. Find encouragement in His Word. Wait for the Lord. Cry out to Him. He will provide you with encouragement.


2 comments: