Sunday, June 14, 2020

Journaling through the Bible: Pride

text: Journaling through the Bible: Pride; background of plastic jewels; logo of A Mom's Quest to Teach

There are many avenues on which I could journey in the Bible when reflecting upon pride. On many occasions when individuals who have become famous through the Bible stories put their own will before God's. When they felt they knew better than God, the men and women of the Bible made choices that would bring misery, destruction, and loss to many. Even though our Keyword Study Bible only lists pride five times, there are many more times it is referenced. 

In Psalms, we read: 
"Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
Violence covers them like a garment." 
Psalms 73:6


quote of Psalms 73:6; "Therefore pride serves as their necklace; violence covers them like a garment."

Most people are familiar with another definition of pride: 
"a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements" or now "confidence and self-respect as expressed by members of a group, typically one that has been socially marginalized."

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking pride in one's accomplishments. After all, why wouldn't I praise my sons or daughter when they complete a difficult homeschool task or assist someone through community service? But one thing I have learned is that I do have my thanks to offer to God at all times. He has blessed our children with the ability to complete difficult assignments. Through the examples of Jesus, our children are giving back to the community.


text: Journaling through the Bible; A Mom's Quest to Teach; Pride; background of plastic jewels
No matter how foolish and ignorant we are – God is there for us. He loves us. He keeps our hearts and souls safe. God will direct us and provide us with all we need. God is my rock. He is my courage and strength. 

I started reflecting upon Psalm 73, pride, and strength when reviewing a children's book – Psalms for My Day. There was a lovely illustration and excerpt from Psalm 73 along with an explanation and prayer to say with our children. 


photo of Psalm 73:23-26 from Psalms for My Day

My Bible has verse 26 illustrated in the margin and I began thinking about what verse I would like to try to illustrate myself. 


quote from Bible: "My flesh and my heart fail..."

I am thinking about trying some watercolor paint on my verse but I am not sure yet. I think I just need to put my trust in God that it will turn out okay in the end. And if it doesn't? I can always start over. 

Psalm 73: 28 quote; heart drawn with God is the Strength around it


Let Me Add My Own Words of Prayer



Lord, it is so hard to put my trust in you. I wish I knew why so I seek your wisdom and help. I want to throw away pride and say goodbye to violence. I want to be ready to live without and leave behind abundance and security in the world. I pray that we put others first.  Lord, please accept my hand. I need you. 

1 comment:

  1. Good lesson. It can be hard to explain to kids the difference between sinful pride and pride in an accomplishment. Grown-ups have a hard time with it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete