Tuesday, May 18, 2021

A Brief Journey through the Quotes of Shakespeare's Hamlet

A Mom's Quest to Teach logo: A Brief Journey through the Quotes of Shakespeare's Hamlet


During high school, we read at least one play by William Shakespeare every year (in my own freshman year, we read two: Romeo & Juliet and Merchant of Venice). In our teen's sophomore year, we read Julius Caesar with him using Shakespeare's Tragedies from Hewitt Homeschooling Resources to facilitate our lessons. Last year, we did not read any Shakespeare, sadly, but this year, he read Macbeth using the British Literature course from SchoolhouseTeachers.com. I also hope to include Hamlet if we have time before he graduates. 

Hamlet has been a favorite of mine for a number of years. Even though I am unsure if we will get to read it, I do hope to be able to share at least one theatrical version of the play with our son. As I was looking through my books (so I can share my copy of Macbeth with him), I stumbled upon my well-worn copy of Hamlet and found some favorite quotes to share. 

A Mom's Quest to Teach: A Brief Journey through the Quotes of Shakespeare's Hamlet; background tree; horse clip art



"To thine own self be true." 
Act I, Scene III 

"That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." 
Act I, Scene IV 

"More matter, with less art." 
Act II, Scene II 

"Suit the action to the word, the word to the action." 
Act III, Scene II 

"A man may fish with the worm that hath eat of a king, and eat of the fish that hath fed of that worm." 
Act IV, Scene III 


suitcase clip art; "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" Hamlet


Interested in more Shakespeare quotes? Check out these other posts from A Mom's Quest to Teach. 






No comments:

Post a Comment