Sunday, February 11, 2018

Journaling Through the Bible: Joseph's Cup

Journaling Through the Bible: Joseph's Cup




"'Also put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the 
sack of the youngest, and his grain  money.'"
Genesis 44:2 NKJV 

After the brothers made the journey back to Egypt to get additional food for their families, they returned to Joseph with their younger brother, Benjamin, the original money for the provisions that they had 'purchased' from Joseph, and gifts for Joseph. When the feasting was complete, Joseph asked his steward to fill his brothers' sacks with food and their money. He also instructed his silver cup be put into the sack of Benjamin.

Is Joseph setting up the brothers? This seems very sneaky and underhanded on the surface. Why would Joseph put his cup into Benjamin's sack? I cannot help but wonder if he saw himself, his mother, or his father in Benjamin.  Perhaps that is why he was so upset when he saw his younger brother.



The brothers believe that if Benjamin does not return with them, their father, Israel, will fall ill. Or some other evil will befall their father. Has the father chosen Benjamin as his new favorite or are the brothers merely exaggerating to gain freedom for their brother? If Benjamin is the new favorite, are the brothers okay with this fact? Are they remorseful for sending Joseph into slavery?

When I was thinking about Journaling this event, I thought it would be an interesting idea to write out Benjamin's name with a cup to replace one of the letters.  After several attempts, I am still not very happy with the result.

#nocapnoproblem
I used MagicStix Markers for my Journaling this week. 


This week I joined up with the following blog(s):


Kids, Crunch, and Christ: Journaling Through the Bible
Spiritual Sundays
Create with Joy's Friendship Friday Blog Party



2 comments:

  1. This looks great!! I love the idea of a cup in Benjamin's name, keep working on that!! I've often wondered what Joseph was thinking and what his goal was in setting up his brothers....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am thinking of getting a plain journal to try out my ideas & practice them. Right now I am using my kids drawing paper.

      Delete