Do you have children who love dogs? Then Pug Pals: Two’s a Crowd by Flora Ahn is a perfect story about two dogs for your family. It is not only great for dog lovers but also for siblings because it illustrates the need to work together and get along.
“Two Pugs. One beloved toy bunny. What could go wrong?”
This tale is perfect for reading aloud with your children. We split the reading over several days, reading a few chapters at a time. The nature of the book allows for using funny voices which only further engaged my children.
Each illustration of Sunny and Rosy helps to tell the tale. Sunny’s annoyance with Rosy and her eventual acceptance of her younger sister is clear in the illustrations of the two pugs.
I recommend this book for families with both younger and older children because you can read it to your young children while your older children, who are ready to read chapter books independently, can enjoy the story by themselves.
• Toy breed
• Weigh 14-18 lbs
• Lifespan of 13-14 years
• Considered companion dogs
• Short, smooth, and soft coat
• Fawn-colored, black or silver in color
• Distinctive corkscrew tail
We created two crafts to go along with the story.
Bunny Pal Craft
1. Gather all your materials. I used tape to attach all the pieces, because my kids were eager to play with their bunnies, but I think glue would work better.
2. If your children are proficient with scissors, they can help you cut out the face, ears, and legs of the bunny. If not, have these items pre-cut.
3. Decorate the toiler paper roll with markers.
4. Draw the face onto your bunny.
5. Attach the pieces to your toilet paper roll (the body of the bunny).
6. Display the completed craft!
Pug Puppy Puppet
1. Gather all your materials.
2. If your children are proficient with scissors, they can help you cut out the face, ears, snout, tongue, and nose of the pug. If not, have these items pre-cut.
3. Attach the face onto the paper bag.
4. Glue on the ears.
5. Attach the snout.
6. Glue the tongue partially underneath the snout.
7. Glue on the pug’s nose.
8. Draw eyes on the face of your pug.
9. Your Pug Puppy Puppet is ready for playtime!
10. Optional: The paper bag can be colored with markers.
Pug Puppy Rock Pet
|Inspiration for your rock pets!|
Another craft idea you can do with this unit is the painting of a pug onto a rock.
- Sealer for the paint
- Gather your materials.
- Sketch your design on your rock.
- Add paint to your rock to create the pug.
- Seal the rock to protect it from the elements before putting your rock outside.